Sunday, December 16, 2007

From a Videographer's Diary

Another day, another dollar; fifteen hours on showshoes and I wish I had pie.
- From a Maine Trapper's Diary

That was yesterday. Eleven hours spent standing at a camera filming the Cancer Research Classic basketball invitational for a live webcast.
I came to realize that standing still for hours on end hurts much more than walking for as many hours. Or maybe it's just that walking provides a distraction from the pain. My apologies to the players, but after half a season filming college games, high school level was not incredibly interesting to me. Less so because I had neither affiliations or interests in any of the schools participating. I will say that the last game, between two preparatory schools was interesting. Of course, that was partially do to the consternation of the color commentary over name pronunciations. (Our heartfelt apologies to Mathang, but we tried to go with phonetic pronunciations.)

The long day was made bearable by lots of caffeine and two six-foot party subs. The snow fell outside, but we were warm and protected, albeit weary. I didn't win the 50/50 raffle, but wasn't too upset since the money went towards cancer research. The letdown came at the end of the day. The volunteers had been told they would be walking home with a fresh new Benjamin for their willingness to stick it out a day after final exams ended. After the broadcast ended, we were informed they'd cut us a check sometime next week.
The pay that would make all the pain and endurance well worth it was being postponed. Although I was disgruntled, this is not a huge deal to me. I probably would have done it for free (but don't spread that along to my boss). I feel a little worse for my companions, one of whom was planning on Christmas shopping with that money, another who caught a flight back home to Philly today.

I made it home late, and disheartened. The cat needed fed, the dog needed out, and I needed chocolate. I went for the turtle sundae pie in the fridge, only to discover it was ice cream and should've been kept in the freezer. I would've gone at it anyway, but I was too exhausted to bother with a bowl and spoon. Instead I got a glass of cold milk and the cookie jar and made my way to the study to check e-mails while the puppy ran off his energy in the yard.
When what to my wondering eyes should appear, but a package on the coffee table. I wasn't expecting anything, but Dorchester had send me an ARC (advanced reading copy) from one of my favorite authors! (I won't name names for fear of my life, but this book isn't for sale until February.)
It made up for my aching back and the legs that had lost feeling below the thighs. I sat at the desk with the opened cookie jar in my lap, happily munching on chocolate chip cookies dunked in the glass sitting between me and the keyboard, and e-mailed a quick thanks to the author.

It had still been a long day, and I still needed a soak in a hot tub, but all in all, the book was better than pie.


(P.S. Entertaining Christmas has been postponed due to residual exhaustion, check back later)

No comments: