Saturday, April 08, 2006

Fight Club

Just Finished reading Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk. Very easy read, less than a day.
I've been a long time fan of the movie and have been meaning to pick up the book. I usually don't read books after a see a movie I love, because the movie seldom measures up to the book, also - it's distracting to hear the actors voices when you read certain lines.
All in all, however, I highly recommend this book to any fans of the movie. The book compliments the movie very well, bringing more clairity to several scenes and pointing out subtleties for what they really are.
The movie does a good job of converying the theme of the book, but loses some of the meaning in the ending. A lot of scenes in the movie are actual scenes in the book, some are twisted scenes, some are out of order. There are a few crucial points in the book that are not emphasized in the movie, but then, you can only cram so much into 2 hours without losing focus. Ironic, since the book has little focus and I wonder if I'd have been able to follow it so easily if I hadn't seen the movie.

The copy I have is the post-movie eddition with a special introduction from the author. Makes me wonder what kind of a guy Chuch is. It's interesting to hear his thoughts on a book that started out as a joke essay and has turned into a cultural event.

Fave quote, found on the second-to-last page:

We are not special.
We are not crap or trash, either.
We just are.
We just are, and what happens just happens.
And God says, "No, that's not right."
Yeah. Well. Whatever. You can't teach God anything.

Fave haiku, page 80:

Watching white moon face
The stars never feel anger
Blah, blah, blah, the end.

Now, everyone's homework is to go read this book. Also, feel free to leave a haiku in the echo thoughts.


My haiku:

Turn just one more page
The plot encases my soul
I'll sleep tomorrow

No comments: