Saturday, April 22, 2006

Supa-Short Story #2

"Hey, do you have a dollar?"
"No." It's funny how quickly a lie can roll off your tongue when you know where a conversation is headed.
"Not even, like, four quarters?"
"No." Technically, she didn't have a dollar on her. She had three quarters (and she later found out a nickel) in her back pocket that started to burn in that "I want recognition", Tell Tale Heart kind of way.
"But I'm so thirsty!"
She had money in her purse. She wasn't sure how much, only that it was enough to get some fast food on the way home. She was sure she had a dollar. "Water Fountain."
"I can't drink from the water fountain on the way home."
She didn't know where he lived. Not likely far enough that a drink from the fountain wouldn't hold him over. This is why she wouldn't lend him a dollar.
"You don't have any money on you?"
"I don't usually carry cash on me. Don't you have a card?"
"Yeah."
"Then go to McDonald's."
"I just want a pop out of the machine."
Ironic how he had the work ethic of a mule, but was so relentless trying to borrow a dollar. She didn't trust him to pay her back, and didn't like him enough to just give him a dollar. He must've thought his good looks deserved a dollar, because he sure hadn't done anything else to earn it. Couldn't even muster the energy to ask politely for it.
No, I'm not giving you a damn dollar, leave me the fuck alone!
"I'll go ask Margaret if she has a dollar I can borrow."
He walked away, leaving her to finish the work alone while I lazed against a table at the other end of the floor, regaling Margaret with the travesty of his thirst.
That's why I didn't give you the damn dollar you wanted.

No comments: