Sunday, August 27, 2006

Unprofessional

For some unknown reason, this has been popping through my mind a lot lately, and Jaye only seemed to reinforce the thought with her post on slogans today, so I figured I'd give in to the urge to blog it.

Do we all know how the names Cook, Carpenter, and Smith originated? Surnames based on profession. So what about unprofessional surnames? Let's pretend all surnames originate from either a person's job or personality. What would you surname say about you?

My surname is Basham
1. professional boxer
2. person with rather violent outward tendencies

Any interesting surnames you've heard that make you wonder?

(Anyone who doesn't feel comfortable posting their surname may either just post the profession/trait, or use surnames they've heard)

4 comments:

Jaye Wells said...

Wells: Digs water reservoirs.

Or

Does everything Wells.

Badumbum

Mignon said...

Neither of my surnames (married or pre) signify anything except a famous dead Nazi (no, not that one) or well, nothing. My married name is uncommon and Norwegian, but sounds very normal and doesn't go with my first name at all. How's that for being cryptic? Well, at least my initials are MPH, before and after marriage. The end.

Michele said...

My maiden name was Oberlander...

You know... Ober Land er Ober Sea???

A family memeber has a last name of Nowak.. which is great because I bet they don't like getting hit. LOL

I used to know a woman who's last name was FUNK - she went down alot.


Have you seen the email going around that shows married names together? It's a riot!
Now THOSE were fun names... too bad I don't have you email, I'd send it.

Too many pics to post on my blog. Blogger doesn't do lots of pics anymore.
Hmmmm, I'll think of something. They're too funny to keep to myself.

Anyway, fun post!

Flood said...

My last name is Gondek. Typically, I use this or it's feminine: Gondekowa. (The 'w' sounds like 'v')

It's Polish for 'musician'. Still deciding which version is good for publishing.