Saturday, July 15, 2006

Crawling Back Out Into the World

Life has condensed itself for me lately. I wake up, eat breakfast, head to work, come home, shower, watch Jeopardy! and go to sleep.

I don't get online for a few hours every night like I used to. I'm lucky if I get on at all. I don't get to read much, either. A book I could finish in two days now takes me two weeks. It's good to have a job that's hard work and wears me out. I actually love the stables, I arrive early and stay late. I don't say "I'm working today," it's "I'll be at the stables today." Still, I miss the other lazy activities which had been so much a part of my life. I feel as though I'm falling out of touch with my internet friends. Although it's NOT Mignon's fault (as far as I know), my blog has slipped into disrepair, which bothers me because although I do it for fun, I do see it as a responsibility.

What this all comes down to, is time management and motivation. I'm actually excellent and managing my time. My downfall is I need to be motivated enough towards a goal to fit it in. This applies to many areas of my life. Anything without immediate results (such as a guaranteed paycheck, or not gagging on the smell of the litter box) falls low on my list of achievements. Not that I don't want to accomplish the task, just that I prefer to schedule based on return.

So how do you push back things you know will give you immediate rewards or satisfaction for the long-haul project you know will give you the most joy? I always say if they bottled and sold motivation, I'd buy it, but until then I just have to keep forcing myself to make time. Read later, write now!


As a closing note, I give you a picture of the Budweiser Clydesdales which will be staying at our stables this coming week. Tomorrow I'll be moving all our horses to the back stables and cleaning out the front stable for the Clydes. A useless effort, in my opinion, since no matter how clean our stable is, it'll still seem like a ghetthotel compared to their usual accommodations. Think Hilton, for horses.

Budweiser Clydesdales

2 comments:

Mignon said...

Glad to see you back. I feel the same way about most of the "shoulds" in my life, but I never really thought about it like that. I guess that's why my writing suffers first when I get busy, because it's not attached to a paycheck and doesn't whine if it's not fed and so on.

Somehow I thought your switch from retail to horsies was a hoax. Why, I don't know. I not really a skeptic.

Mitch said...

Although I'm prone to exageration, I don't tend to lie in my blog. Yes, I managed to escape retail before it led to my encarceration.
I actually meant to keep both jobs, but after the first two days I realized I needed the weekends off. (and by "weekends" I mean one day every seven or eight days, depending)