Sunday, July 02, 2006

Today at the Stables I...

~Watched horsies play in the water through.
~Skidded down a hill & got my ass covered in dirt to put the hose back in the trough after Red took it out to squirt Clyde with it.
~Learned how to groom.
~Learned how to pick a hoof.
~Learned how to squeeze a horse's tendon so he'll pick up his leg...in theory.
~Learned how to tack up (put the saddle, bridle, etc. on).
~Led WAY too many pony rides on a stubborn pony who wanted to do nothing but eat. The kids didn't notice, but Rain was walking forward, but had her head facing off to the right with a longing gaze that was unmistakably, "I want grass! *pout*"
~Got sunburn on my shoulders from WAY too many pony rides.
~Got a hideous tan line from wearing a bandanna (but at least my scalp didn't burn).
~Burned my boobs (damn low-cut tank tops!).
~Almost got peed on by a fussy pony because I wasn't letting her eat (see above)...(I swear that horse was laughing at me!).
~Stepped in mud.
~Stepped in poop.
~Stepped in pee (see above.).
~Fed horsies grain.
~Watered thirsty horses.
~Watered myself, because I was hot & muddy.
~Realized watering myself had been relieving, but ultimately a bad idea because the ass of my jeans took hours to dry.
~Came home for lunch.
~Realized I was too tired to eat & showered instead.
~Realized how red I was & decided I could go without a shirt inside the house.
~Tried to nap but was prevented from doing so from noisy kitties.
~Did laundry.

This was my day off. This doesn't look like a "day off" list. The highlights of my day were a little girl on a pony ride telling me she has a little brother. "He poops. He poops big." (Little brother is 2 months old.) Also, a woman who told me her first job was leading pony rides. She paused, and I saw a dawning realization on her face. "I'll bet that's why I have trouble with my foot now!"

Down Sides ~ I got stepped on by grumpy grass-less pony, but luckily she only grazed my foot with hers. Also - cleaning hooves is the second worst chore at the stables. I'm pretty sure all the horses know I'm inexperienced & enjoyed taking advantage of me. Bastard equines.

Still, I love it there & can't wait to start riding when we aren't as busy this fall.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah? You weren't the *only* one to have an eventful day.

Today I...

~Worked from midnight to 8am.

~Came home; slept.

~Woke up; ate food.

~Went back to work, from 7pm to midnight.

Hmm, okay, on second thought, maybe my day wasn't so eventful after all. You win this time...

Anonymous said...

Hey Mitch! When did you start the horse job? I missed a post or two while writing. :) Is this a perm job?

cj

Mitch said...

Aawon - *hehehe I win* if it's any consolation, I'm so busy at the stables, I never get to practice any tripple bagging, so I'm sure you'd school me on that.

CJ - about a week & a half ago. I'm the receptionist/stablehand which means I get to alternate between shitty customers & shitty stalls, still I love it. For the moment, I'm summer help while day camp is going on. If I manage to catch on (which so far I'm doing very good), I may be asked to stay on, since I think all of our volunteers are school kids & won't be available durring the days come fall.
*I'll be horse lover is SO jealous! *G*