Monday, May 08, 2006

Blue Moon

Blue Moon by Lori Handeland is one of the best books I've read lately. It's the first romance novel written in first person that I've ever read. I thought I might miss out on other people's perspectives. I've read other books written in first person, but when love isn't a key element, there's not much of a need for alternate points of view - they're nice, but not needed.

Blue Moon is the story of Jessie McQuade , local cop in a small Wisconsin town nestled in the woods. The area is abundant in wild life, and Indian legends. One of which comes to life and starts killing innocent people on Jessie's watch.
Jessie meets Professor William Cadotte when she asks him for help discerning the significance of a wolf totem she found at the scene an accident involving a huge black wolf. Jessie had run into Will previously, at his cabin in the woods when she was pursuing a wolf. He was naked at the time, and Jessie's not quite able to forget the image.
Heat flares between Jessie and Will in the midst of unraveling a secret that has people disappearing and doubts multiplying.
Is will the love Jessie's always hoped for? Or the werewolf trying to take over the town?

There are a lot of conspiracy theories and double-guessing going on in this book. Every chapter I was changing my opinion of the characters and my suspicion of whodunit. There's action and romance and LOADS of suspense! As soon as you think you've figured something out, something comes along that makes you question yourself.
The ending was a wonderful surprise! I didn't figure out what was going on until it was happening and then I was smacking myself on the forehead and muttering, "Of course!"
The pieces fall into place very nicely at the end, with just enough left out of place to guarantee the next book will be just as interesting. This is book number one in a series that so far is up to five, and I can't wait to read the next one!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a really good book, I can't wait to read it.