Sunday, May 28, 2006

Satan's Sale

The kids have run off with my Aunt and Uncle to visit my Grandfather for brunch.
Gram's off at church bathing in absolution.
I'm all alone in a very quiet house finishing off my pot of Starbuck's Verona blend I received compliments of B&N with my 15 book order. Strong, and caffienny, but good. Very good. I brewed it a half hour ago when I realized the pot was empty and I was alone, and faced with the daunting prospect of another day of Satan's Sale. The store was given extra man hours yesterday to hang new signs, which we didn't ever receive enough of, so I agreed to stay on for a double because money is good and family isn't always so pleasurable. Yes, I know, evasive, but I put in my reqired hours when I got home, as I scarfed down hineese and tried to prop my eyelids open long enough to be considered sociable.

Now, I'm ignoring Jaye's well intended advice and chugging away at Verona in preparation for today's open to close shift.
Already the caffiene is speeding up my drive, slowing down the world. Everything needs to be faster, louder, more vibrant - but the house remains stubbornly silent, miles away from even a silent movie.

I saw a silent movie a few weeks ago. It was called the Circus. It was much better than I had expected, and I did expect to enjoy it, if not for more than a cultural experience. It actually had better humor than modern flicks, until the end. The end was desperately sad and made me want to weep. All that much more so because of the silence, against the musical backdrop, I would never hear the character sob, solidifying his aloneness.

Anywho, I'll bet you're wondering about Satan's Sale! We received an e-mail (the store) yesterday morning about a sale for "The Holiday weekend, and beyond." (To Infinity - AND BEYOND!) We have no idea when this sale ends, but all of us loathe the fact it ever started. Everything in our store is $7.98 or less. With Satan's Sale, you can get 5 skirts or womens shorts for $19.99, 5 kids short or long sleeve tees, or three short or long sleeve mens or short sleeve women's shirts, all $19.99. When we ring up 3 shirts, the sale adjusts the price of each to $6.66.
Whose bright fucking idea was this?
To make matters even more interesting, when testing the sale before store hours, the computer went whacko. It froze up and the mouse started moving around on it's own. We were on the phone with IT for the better half of an hour, Lisa, the manager, cussing the entire time and ranting his ignorance each moment she was on hold (and some moments she wasn't).
Lisa said, "I'm allowed to cuss, we're not open yet. I'd never heard her cus before, and apparently she avoids it because once she starts, she can't stop. After the store was open, we had to keep reminding her so when Satan's Sale continued to screw up our comps.

Faced with another day of this anguish, all I can do is thank B&N for the pot of Verona I've managed to down in an hour & hope I'm not the only one on register today when I need to pee.

To my blogees - hope your weekend is fun & Satan Free, unless the association is through yoursefl, in which case, live it up!
I'll be back on Monday with more tales of horror from the Sale of Satan (sounds like Son of Sam, maybe I'll get to star in a made for TV movie - look for me on prime time).........(I wish I had time to make more Verona)

4 comments:

Imez said...

Well, I for one would love to have some of your cheap evil shirts. Where to you work?

Mignon said...

Oh! My bloggy-friend Esereth found my new bloggy-friend Mitch. I'm all choked up... (because your writing styles remind me of each other, somehow)

Mitch, did you mean to say you're going to eat Chinese with your family, or do you really eat hineys with each other? I've heard that phrase, when you're starving, "I could eat the ass end of a dead skunk." But I thought it was just a joke...

Jaye Wells said...

I'm sorry. Correct me if I'm wrong but do you or do you not consider yourself the right hand of the Devil? Aren't you going to anger your evil overlord with this slander against his fabulous deals?

Mitch said...

Esereth, www.steveandbarrys.com

Mig, well, Hoss (my nicky for Uncle Ross) grilled steaks, but I don't think they were ass cuts. For the next week I'll be desperately consuming leftovers before the heat sends them round the bend. Dinner tonight was steak and chicken chow mein. Gram said "turf and turf." I said "Plain and pen." We also came up with "Poop and coup," "Bulls and beaks," and my personal favorite, "Farts and Flu."

Jaye - Seeing as I am his right hand woman and spread his evilness everywhere I go, the bastard should sympathize and make sure I'm not on register when he posesses it. And plus, you're the one who declared me Satan's top minon.