Thursday, April 20, 2006

One short of Grease Monkey

Today was busy! Had an appointment to witness on a will signing at 11, but the people didn't show. I was gonna head back to bed, but was asked by Gram to look into plants for the pond at Lowe's. I'd mentioned Lowe's earlier because I was thinking of getting a shower head attachment for the upstairs bathtub.
At Lowe's, the pond plants hadn't arrived yet, and "Dan the Man" -head of the plumbing department - had no idea what I was talking about with my bath faucet, so I told him I'd be back in 2 hours with the faucet.
This was the fun part. Back at home I changed into grease monkey clothes & tied a bandana around my hair. I spent about half an hour following pipes until I found the valves for the upstairs bathroom. I turned them off, ran back upstairs, hot was still dripping. Ran back downstairs, tightened spigot. Ran back upstairs, hot still dripping. Back to basement. Tighten knob. Upstairs. Leaking. About the 4th time up & down 2 flights of stairs, I decided I'd leave the hot on so I'd be able to hear in the basement when the water stopped flowing. That was when I realized the red knob was on the cold line, & blue was hot. I'd been tightening the wrong one. Back upstairs, water was finally off in the bathroom, but I came to realize the wrench I had was a millamicrohair too small. I made it work, but wrench was added to my list.
Four faucet adaptors and one shiny new blue pipe wrench later, I have a new showerhead and a fell about one evolutionary step below a Grease Monkey. I also picked up 7 screens & got to fight with the storm windows that had been painted shut by the previous occupant. As hot as it was, and as tempting as bed sounded, it felt good to put in a hard day's work. Now I can take a nice shower upstairs before bed. There's a shower in the first floor, but it's adjacent to the master bedroom & I'm usually headed to bed about 5 hours later than Gram.
Last month I fixed the front storm door because the pressure thingy that keeps it open - well, the screws keeping it in place pulled out of the doorframe & the threads were stripped, so I had to plaster & put in new screws. Next month, who knows.
Best part of today, other than a job well done - the guy in Lowe's said I should (some word I don't remember) the pipes. I gave him a confused stare & he said, "Do you have a (derivative of word I don't remember)?" I told him I didn't even know what one was. He said, "Did you say you're doing this yourself?" "Yeah." "It's a pair of pliers." "I know what pliers are! Why didn't you say pliers in the first place?" "No one's helping you with this?" "Hey, getting the faucet off was the hard part, I'm sure I can get it back on...then I just have to remember which pipes in the basement turn the water back on." Okay, so the last part was an exaggeration, I knew which pipes, but the look on his face was priceless!

1 comment:

Jaye Wells said...

You didn't mention the karma-induced electrocution...